Sunday, May 6, 2012

Figurative Language Paragraph



​ For language arts we were asked to write a paragraph with rich figurative language. Here is what I came up with:
    
         I finally reached the house. I stepped out of the car, my legs stiff, as if petrified, from the 4 hour drive in my snail of a car. After giving my worn out body a good stretch, I finally walked up to the house, which was drowning in bush, a small boat in a vast ocean. I retrieved the key from my coat pocket and unlocked the door. Being old and tired, the door slowly creaked open as if whining to be kept shut. After letting my eyes adjust to what little light was in the house, I was able to see what I had been driving for so long for. The main room was a mess. Dust everywhere on the floor. A chair stood in the center of the floor, faded pink from the sun like a child who refused to wear sun lotion on a sunny day. After tripping over dust covered objects I was able to reach the untouched stairs, from there I could see all of the damage. There was a small slope in the floor, as if their was shifting tectonic plates right under the foundation of the house. The walls that were still standing stood out above the other fallen debris, like the Pyramids of Giza in the middle of the desert. The ceiling above me was cracked, revealing the supports of the next floor. The hinges of missing doors still stood in the few doorways I had seen. Mentally preparing myself for what was waiting for me upstairs, I drew in a few slow breaths like a sloth slowly climbing a tree, and started to make my way up the old and creaky stairs...

No comments:

Post a Comment